Awesome few days of protests, arrest, chalking, new doctor

Went to see my new doctor Dr Patterson with support from advocate Sue at Oasis Network in Lower Hutt.  Went well, focused on lesion on my head and changed lump on my stomach, only ticked a little bit, wrote about my mental health issues on the enrolment form but told him I couldn’t talk about it that day, until I got to know him better.

Afterwards went up to the Oasis offices in Lower Hutt, was in same building my daughter had her braces done.  I remembered the sign and thought how they would probably be like the social agencies in the Wairarapa, nice until they didn’t approve then they would attack you & ostracize you.  So far so good, they seem nice.  Got talking with someone there and found out we had birthdays on same day – Spirit sending me a sign that this place is OK and I’m on the right track.

Dr organised to have lesion cut out and a biopsy taken Friday (he did it) & ultrasound for lump.  Which I have since organised.  I tried to have this done months ago but was so traumatised by Wainuiomata Health Centre I couldn’t open their mail or see their doctors.

After Oasis I headed for Wellington to Ministry of Health, met up with Ricky and had a catch up beforehand (cuppa tea & a wine biscuit), had forgotten my fake blood so went found some more.  Sorted out what we were going to do in quite a bit of detail before we went in (a good tip for any activist).  Went in, set up camera in a position where it was able to identify where you were, I intended to ask to see John Crawshaw (Director of mental health) so in front of reception desk.  Ricky guarded camera in case someone wanted to turn it off.

I held up my sign and started telling people why I was protesting (I’ll post video on Youtube when I can), I started singing loudly and was asked to leave repeatedly.  Told them no way, I knew I was trespassed, they threatened me with getting the police which I laughed at and said I didn’t care about the police.

The police were great, my repeatedly complaints when they piss me off are finally getting somewhere.  First officer tried to negotiate me to leave, but no way I was doing that, still continued to give the people around me a hard time.  He tried to get Ricky to turn off video but he refused – good on him, its hard to stand up to police like that.  The video is essential to my political protests and is there to record the event, nothing more – the cop didn’t like it though, but didn’t push it.

Then three other cops arrived (all men, have asked that a woman be with them next time), I was asked if I knew I was trespassed, which of course I did.  The officer took my statement as to why I was there:  My three reasons were – I thought John Crawshaw worked in this building and two years ago he phoned me at home and promised to get me health services and I was still waiting; I was upset and angry about the murder/suicide in Dunedin and the links I believed there were to appauling mental health services; and finally I was going to court on 29 January for wilful trespass of the Law Society, I had also been charged with wilful trespass of ACC before Xmas and now I was being trespassed from the third organisation I considered responsible for the situation I was in.

Didn’t have to have handcuffs (thank God) that was my biggest fear about this protest.  And there was no mention of getting mental health services involved at all.  Lots of new questions about your mental health – bet you the murder/suicide in Dunedin prompted that.  Of course I answer no to most of it because I can’t get any services from mental health – oh the irony.  Also answer no to medication or ever having been on psych medication.  Always tell them I have a stress disorder, but they all know that now and its pretty obvious because I do tick and click my fingers randomly.

They didn’t have a car, so I got a ride in back of the Paddy Wagon, felt real special, wish I had a permanent marker to leave a poem.  Freaked out a bit to start because had a bad experience when taken to court the time I spent night in the cells, I was put in a small metal box – not good for an abuse victim with a stress disorder.  This time i was a big metal box, so not so bad, who cares so long as I wasn’t handcuffed – they hurt.

They processed me really quickly, didn’t have to go into a cell, my court appearance was put out to the 29 January to coincide with the two other charges.  They were really nice, respectful, I even saw Sgt McLean who said hello and was concerned with my welfare – pretty sure he was genuine.  Bet you I never get an apology for what he did out of him though – policeman hate apologising.

Only took 45 minutes, got out, met back up with Ricky for a cuppa and a wine biscuit, debriefed about how it went.  He reakons he is going to get arrested too next time – good on him.  He knows how bad the mental health system is and how abusive staff and processes are, how they are trying to make people responsible for themselves who are vulnerable, taken advantage of and suffering.  As I have said before this is a cruel immoral neo-liberal political theory of the right-wing that has no basis in medical or scientific fact and is a gross miscarriage of justice.

Friday I went back over to Wellington to have lesion cut out, which is all sorted, talked a bit more about my mental health with doctor, only because I was ticking a lot, just a bit of the story, but said I didn’t want to say to much until I knew him better.  Met the receptionist that had organised the quick appointment (irrelevant of having my notes or not which Wainui & Petone refused to do), I cried and thanked her.  She couldn’t really understand why I was so grateful and emotional – but she doesn’t know how I have been treated by some people and how desperate I was to see a doctor.

Oh yeah, also got a call from the Law Society about my complaint about lawyer Michael Hall, who I have sacked – another lawyer bites the dust.  You can’t have a lawyer that calls you a liar when you aren’t.  Asked him to phone back Monday as I was in Wellington, so that will be interesting.  I only made the complaint 4am that morning.

Will have to represent myself at court on 29th, get case postponed one more time to try and access mental health services and if I can’t I’ll represent myself.  Tell judge it is not so urgent now I have been able to access a GP through a Lower Hutt support agency.  Also will have to have my bail address changed.

So busy few days, interesting few days, satisfying few days, Idle No More few days, changing the world few days.

Most impressed with the change in attitude of the police, hopefully can put all the shit with them behind me and get on with it without fear of being committed or stripped naked.  Does make protesting a little more scary when you think that could happen at any time.

Of course the police should be on my side, they are supposed to uphold the law.  One day they will take my complaint of harm against ACC and mental health seriously – one day.

Still find it surreal that this is my life at 49, but what else can I do, there is no way any decent person wouldn’t know what I know and not try to right this terrible wrong against abused people, stress disordered people and mentally ill people.

Also went chalking with Ricky around the Supreme Court and Parliament, plus Kate Shepherd Apartments where some revolting politicians live.  Some Ben Franklin, Voltare, me, etc.  Having trouble uploading photos from my new phone (operator trouble) so will get them posted soon as I can.  Also have to process half hour of video, am sure I’ll be able to get some good stuff.

Now we just need another 100 people doing what I am doing and the government and media wouldn’t be able to ignore it.

We chalked the election issues Ricky & I decided were important – like Inequality, appauling mental health services, unemployment, housing crisis, the environment.  Lots of people stopping to read quotes & comments.  Good to let the politicians know I will be continuing to protest as I have for years.

Went and sung, recited a couple of poems at Parliament, under Seddon statue, lots of people having lunch on the grounds but just not the buzz for me because Parliament isn’t in session.  But from all accounts MPs are back in Parliament because it is election year – God help us.  We are going to be bombarded with bullshit – (now that sounds like the title of a poem or song 🙂

Anyway gotta get packing, thanks to WINZ I am going to be able to get movers (which I have to pay back of course) nobody wants to move me as they have done it so often – not my fault – housing crisis for the poor in New Zealand.

Should be an interesting week next week.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *